Corrugated cardboard is an increasingly popular form of CPG packaging. It's a durable, cost-effective, and sustainable option for many products. Here's what you need to know about this type of packaging and the benefits of using it for your brand.
Benefits of Corrugated Cardboard for CPG Packaging
Corrugated packages aren't quite the same as cardboard, but its close. This type of material is made from fluting or arched paper. The material can be coated or treated with adhesives or even flame retardants and can be folded into different sizes and shapes to fit most products in any industry. Even better, you can customize printing on corrugated materials, making it extremely attractive for marketing your products.
For CPG packaging, corrugated materials are a great choice for the following benefits:
- It's very durable, providing stability and cushioning for almost any product. This is especially helpful when products are shipped long distances and handled by warehouse or fulfillment workers. Corrugated cardboard can vary in thickness, and the material does a nice job wicking moisture away from products. CPG packaging teams like corrugated cardboard for food, for these two reasons.
- It's highly customizable both from the side or width of the packaging to the promotional printing on the outside. The ability to design your CPG packaging so it is "right-sized' to conform to the product is a benefit of this customization. Corrugated cardboard that reduces waste in this way will help lower your carbon emissions when shipping. It can also help with warehouse storage by lessening the wasted space.
- It saves energy because corrugated packaging can have a high percentage of recycled components that require less time to manufacture. Corrugated cardboard does not typically use 100% virgin materials; many companies source the component parts from local recyclers. In addition to using recycled materials, companies use the timber from fast-growing and renewable pine trees for their paper pulp. Suppliers can harvest from managed, sustainable forest plots, then replace the trees they harvested with new tree saplings to begin the process all over again. Both of these processes are highly sustainable and can minimize a company's carbon footprint.
- You can reuse it. You can recycle the renewable materials that make up corrugated packaging. You can also potentially reuse this form of CPG packaging. Designers can create collapsible and fully reusable corrugated cardboard packages, which could save companies big bucks both in the short and long-term. Because the layers that make up a corrugated product are so durable, they can be used repeatedly before recycling them.
- It's low cost. In addition to being sustainable, corrugated cardboard boxes are a highly inexpensive option for companies. They don't require some of the higher labor costs or even expensive machinery to make these boxes.
Corrugated cardboard has substantial benefits for CPG packaging. It's one of the most sustainable product tools out there, which explains the growing popularity of this material.
PKG Brand Design is always on the forefront of new CPG branding and packaging initiatives; please subscribe to our blog for the latest package design industry news!